Tuesday, August 3, 2021

[ad_1]

The federal government is advising Canadian air operators to avoid Belarusian airspace, citing safety and security concerns.

In a joint statement released Tuesday evening, Canada’s Foreign Affairs Minister Marc Garneau and Transport Minister Omar Alghabra said a Notice to Airmen has been issued “advising Canadian air operators and the owners of aircraft registered in Canada to avoid operating at any altitude within Belarusian airspace due to serious safety and security concerns posed to civil aviation operations.”

Read more:
Belarus arrest of journalist on Ryanair flight a ‘clear attack on democracy’: Trudeau

The move comes just days after Belarusian authorities scrambled a fighter jet and flagged what turned out to be a false bomb alert which forced a Ryanair passenger plane to land on Sunday.

Authorities then detained 26-year-old opposition journalist Roman Protasevich who was on board.

Story continues below advertisement

The move drew international condemnation.

Speaking at a press conference earlier on Tuesday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said the forced landing and the arrest of Protasevich was a “clear attack on democracy” that must be met by action.

“The behaviour of the Belarus regime is outrageous, illegal and completely unacceptable. This was a clear attack on democracy and the freedom of the press,” Trudeau said. “We condemn it and call for his immediate release.”


Click to play video: 'Western nations condemn Belarus after Ryanair flight forced to land'







Western nations condemn Belarus after Ryanair flight forced to land


Western nations condemn Belarus after Ryanair flight forced to land

In their statement Tuesday evening, Garneau and Alghabra echoed Trudeau’s remarks, calling the forced flight diversion a “reckless, brazen act by the Belarusian regime” which they said, “jeopardized the safety of passengers and constitutes serious interference in the fundamental principles and international rules that ensure civil aviation safety around the world.”

The ministers said the action also constitutes a “blatant attack” on media freedom with “serious implications on the rights of freedom of expression.”

Story continues below advertisement

“We call on Belarus to release Mr. Protasevich immediately,” they said.

Garneau and Alghabra said the government is “assessing, with like-minded partners, response options that include sanctions.”

They said Canada will also participate in an “urgent” meeting of the International Civil Aviation Organization Council this week to “shed light on the circumstances surrounding this abhorrent transgression.”

Read more:
Belarusian order to land plane carrying journalist draws anger from Canada, U.S.

The men also urged Belarus to release all individuals who have been arbitrarily detained, saying an “impartial investigation of all allegations of torture and other cruel treatment is needed.”

“Canada will continue to work with its partners to ensure that the voices of the people of Belarus are heard and to pursue accountability for those responsible for undermining democracy, suppressing media freedom and committing human rights violations,” the statement read.

The ministers’ statement comes as Belarus plans to shutter its embassy in Canada as of Sept. 1, 2021. The consular section of the embassy will stop operations on July 10, 2021.

-With a file from Global News’ Amanda Connolly and Reuters




© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



[ad_2]

Source link

FOLLOW US

GOOGLE PLUS

PINTEREST

FLICKR

INSTAGRAM

TAGS

Advertisement

img advertisement

Archivies

RECENTPOPULARTAG

Social